Astigmatism is a refractive defect that affects near and far vision, causing blurred or distorted vision of objects.
En Área Oftalmológica Avanzada We explain what astigmatism is and how it can be corrected.
What is astigmatism?
El astigmatism It is a refractive problem that affects near and far vision.
It is caused because the cornea, instead of being rounded and symmetrical, has an irregular shape, similar to that of an American football.
In astigmatism, the light rays that come from the objects, instead of focusing on the retina, do it in front of and behind it, causing blurred vision.
People with this refractive error they present difficulties in appreciating the details of objects at any distance.
Degrees of astigmatism
different types of astigmatism:
- myopic astigmatism: occurs when one or both major meridians of the ocular structure focus as myopic.
- hyperopic astigmatism: occurs when one or both meridians focus as hypermeters.
- Mixed astigmatism: It happens when one meridian focuses as myopic and the other as hypermetropic.
Astigmatism is a condition that can be diagnosed in a Ophthalmological examination routine.
The tests to diagnose astigmatism are:
- measurement of the eye strain.
- Sight graduation and visual acuity.
- Study of the anterior and posterior structure of the eye.
- Detailed study that may include biometrics To be, corneal topography, corneal pachymetry y aberrometry.
When is the test recommended?
One of the astigmatism symptoms More noticeable is the difficulty in seeing objects clearly from near or far, at which time an appointment with an ophthalmologist should be made to study the ocular structure.
It can be accompanied by other defects such as myopia, farsightedness and squint.
Before any of these symptoms it is convenient to see a doctor.
How is astigmatism corrected?
The surgical treatment options are:
- Placement of a toric intraocular lens without removing the crystalline.
- La lasik surgery It is the most widely used method today and allows correcting all types of astigmatism. This procedure consists of molding the cornea through the Excimer laser application.
- FemtoLASIK it's a surgery lasik but the cut is made by the femtosecond laser, which gives us greater surgical safety.
One option alternative to refractive surgery to correct astigmatism is the use of glasses or contact lenses.
Who is affected by astigmatism?
Currently, it affects more than 60% of Spaniards and is the most common refractive defect in people under 45 years.
People with myopia and farsightedness commonly have some degree of astigmatism.
Do you think you can suffer from astigmatism? Contact with Área Oftalmológica Avanzada to make an appointment and leave doubts as soon as possible.«Back to the glossary index